[RFI] Street lights

Patrick Dyer pjdyer at swbell.net
Sun Nov 24 10:41:26 EST 2013

In Feb 1996 I had some cycling RFI noise, strongest on 21-MHz, that
primarily was daytime-only coming from my w.n.w..  I used a 30-50 MHz
portable (Allied A-2586) with a 27-MHz rubber duckie antenna on it to
localize it to an area some 3000' from my QTH.  Then using a 4-el
section of what was an 11-el 2-m Cushcraft Yagi on a Radio Shack
Jetstream Mini it was narrowed down to a pole (near a street
intersection) with a broken (shot out?) light.
Silvercrest and Callaghan on the west edge of this map
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/images/satx_qth.gif

If I needed any more confirmation, a cycling acoustic noise emanating
from up the pole matched the RFI perfectly.  The power company fixed it
within a few days.  It was in a area with no adjacent/close residences
(and somewhat redundant nearby street lighting) so less likely to be
promptly noticed/reported by others.  I doubt that I would have
considered that area very "safe" to have gone RDFing there on foot in
the dark!

Pat - WA5IYX
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/index.html