[RFI] Weather related RFI

Jeff Stevens jeff at mossycup.com
Mon Sep 23 14:07:04 EDT 2013

This is just a total shot in the dark but do they have an air source
heat pump which was installed within the last few years?  Sometimes
these are called ductless AC units.  The newer models use PWM to drive
the compressor.  The variable speed drive which PWM allows makes the
units much more efficient (they can run more or less continuously
instead of all on or all off) but PWM is, of course, full of
harmonics.  The unit I had recently installed is below the noise floor
at my antennas but I can see poorly filtered models being a real
problem for radio amateurs.  If they had an air source heat pump
installed, you should see the compressor on the exterior of the house.
 It will look something like this:
https://www.goductless.com/hvac/images/mitsubishi/PC19508-d.jpg

If you live in a climate where you get more than a few inches of snow
in one storm, the compressor will likely be wall hung 4'-8' off the
ground.  Otherwise, it will be on a plastic or concrete pad.

Again, just a shot in the dark.  Seems like a possibility considering
it's more or less continuous during cold weather.

-Jeff
W7WWA