[RFI] Are newer LG models still RF quiet??? - Washing Machine RFI revisited

Dale svetanoff at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 26 11:04:31 EDT 2013

Paul,

Depending upon application, but for home and office use, the EU requirements (to get the "CE" mark) for equipment susceptibility require ability to fend off undesired operation at or below 3V/m in EM fields (I don't recall the frequency range).  That is why when I buy computers and associated equipment, I try to obtain units with the CE mark.  Many manufacturers do not want to make and stock different units for different markets of the same model, so you can get several items in the USA that not only meet the FCC Part 15 requirements for Class B (pathetic that they are), but also meet the CE requirements.

I can not vouch for the accuracy of the story, but way back in the mid-1990s, when the EU requirements for the CE mark were about to become official (and many makers of equipment were screaming about the cost of meeting the susceptibility issues), the tale that circulated around some of the EMC engineering community was this:  (I heard the following story at an EMC seminar sponsored by the US Navy!)

The British Royal Navy was testing a new computer-driven system for controlling steering of a ship, a destroyer, as I recall.  All was going well until someone on board the vessel fired up a radio xmtr to send some traffic.  At that moment, the ship veered off course.  It was unclear to me if that was THE defining moment for setting European susceptibility requirements for computers, but if the event truly happened, then it had to be at least a darned good reason.

Whatever the reason, the Europeans stuck to their demands and the CE mark does require meeting susceptibility requirements.  Meanwhile, the FCC caved in and we are all reaping the results of that (in)action.

Regarding susceptible appliances, has anyone noticed (or bothered to look) if appliances made by European manufacturers (such as Bosch) carry the CE mark here in the US?  If so, they might be worth checking out.  I have certainly found it worthwhile to get CE marked computers.  As for radiated emissions, as someone else noted, the ham population is too small to impact a huge market like major appliances.  My own approach is shop as smart as possible and then be prepared to hack and chop as required to implement my own fix if necessary.  It is unfortunate that "Consumer Reports" does not test for RF emissions.

73, Dale
WA9ENA