[RFI] Broadcast station RFI Mixing

Rich Hallman - N7TR rich at n7tr.com
Sat Apr 19 21:13:20 EDT 2014

Over the past year I have been hearing a local broadcast station on 80 and 40 meters.  80 meters is the worse.  Filters will not help, and sounds like there is something rectifying.  I think I may have a problem on the power pole since it seems to go away for a day or so after it rains.  Also...I have not eliminated that there may be a problem at the broadcast site.  The station is KKOH and is about 10 miles from me...but line of site.

I did a YouTube video of what I am hearing...and for the most part I can hear the carrier every 10 khz...so places like 3900 is real bad.  With the intermittent connection as it sounds like...it messes up the entire 80 and 40 meter band.  Sounds like a bad connection in my antenna...but I have already confirmed my antennas are fine and I confirmed I can also hear the mixing on a mobile 80 meter whip in the truck as well as other antennas.  On 40 its lower signal...but also can be heard every 10 khz or so and the mixing is very intermittent / scratchy.  Seems like its also more intermittent with wind.

Here is the video...   http://youtu.be/rZ8gXRKGkxE

I just emailed my power company the video as well.  Will get the KKOH station engineer to listen as well to make sure they don't have an issue with an insulator or ground on their tower.

Any other thoughts?

Rich N7TR
ex KI3V, N3AMK, WB3JOV
www.n7tr.com<http://www.n7tr.com>