[RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Apr 20 14:58:00 EDT 2014

On 4/20/2014 7:11 AM, w2ttt at att.net wrote:
> A more productive approach would be to contact Mike Gruber, W1MG at
> ARRL and he can guide you and your neighbors to a better place.

Gordon,

If such a connection is known, yes, that could be quite productive. I
was completely unaware of it until you posted this information, AFTER I
had made my post. It's great that ARRL offers this sort of service, but
it does no good if it's not widely known.

Further, hams should NEVER, except in emergencies, reduce power because
neighbors have equipment with high susceptibility. Those neighbors, if
they have a problem, should be made aware that it's THEIR problem, not
the ham's problem. This is especially true in the situation described --
the company who has created the problem won't talk to the ham. The
neighbor is never going to call the DSL company to complain, because he
has no problem. In the case described, the ham has VERY seriously
limited his operation because his neighbor bought a lousy service!

The neighbor should be referred to the Class B or Class A statement in
the product documentation. The ham should decide, on the basis of his
perception of the relationship with the neighbor, how much, if any, help
to offer. In some cases, the best approach would to have the neighbor
contact the FCC. We all have had neighbors like that. :)

73, Jim K9YC