[RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)

Richard Battles wb4byq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:27:22 EDT 2014

Here in Opelika,  Alabama the city installed a city wide fiber optic
network,  the fiber comes to the home.  What is interesting about the fiber
is that the fiber is split into many pairs by optical splitting  on the
pole,  no ac or dc power is needed,  the city says that it is cheaper to
run fiber than copper to the home, and less maintenance problems.  the box
on the house is made by lucent technologies and breaks out the fiber into
copper in the house.  from the box outside,  we ran shielded cat5e to the
wireless router.  no rfi very clean.  i see no side the street boxes for
the fiber,  all home runs to the head end,  all is hanging on the poles.

richard