[RFI] VDSL (very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line)

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:39:34 EDT 2014

All well and good working with ARRL and neighbors but hams need to
grow spines and quit tucking their tails between their legs and
capitulating to neighbors who due to irrational psychology, seem to
think watching TV or some other appliance use is a birthright, but ham
radio is just an optional play-time activity with some toys.

This comes out for example with antennas, and the deplorable use of
hidden "stealth" antennas to appease neighbors, as if the ham is in
the Resistance in WW2 or is engaged in some illegal activity, or has a
spy station.   It is exceedingly disappointing that the use of these
antennas is promoted in ham magazines such as CQ and QST, complete
with glowing reports of satisfied owners, as if these are excellent
and satisfactory antennas in the fullest sense.  If I were counsel
representing plaintiffs against a ham, all I would need to do is round
up dozens of these articles and present them to a jury and I'd easily
win.  I am absolutely nonplussed every time QST or CQ hands
municipalities yet another article to use against us.  Every one of
those articles should carry a prominent disclaimer to the effect that
these antennas are most unsatisfactory and are only presented to be
used as a temporary measure in the belief that any antenna is better
than none at all.

But, as for RFI, a ham curtailing his mode/power/hours in any way
makes as much sense as the neighbor curtailing his TV watching.

73

Rob
K5UJ