[RFI] CFL and LED Lighting Discussion

Danny Richardson k6mhe at k6mhe.com
Mon Aug 11 23:18:10 EDT 2014

On 8/11/2014 6:56 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
> One thing that would be VERY useful when talking about alternatives to
> "traditional" bulbs would be to mention both the part numbers of the
> bulbs and where they were purchased from.
>
> Stores like Home Depot frequently have their own custom manufactured
> goods so the "Cree" bulb you buy there might not be the same as the
> one you see on the manufacturer's web site.

I have a total of 11 Cree LEDs blubs installed through the house. Two
(sixty watt rated) that are mounted in totally enclosed housings in our
two bath rooms and I have had no problems thus far. The rest are
installed as follows; two (100 watt rated) in bedside tables, two in a
hanging lamps within translucent white glass housings - looks somewhat
like inverted mixing bowels - open bottom 9" diameters.  Plus one
installed in the living room's table lamp. Additionally, I have four 60
watt  rated blubs installed in a ceiling fan. At this time all my LEDs
been in service less than six months. Time will tell. Thus far I am very
pleased and they are instant on, dimmable and are electrically quiet.

For some reason, Home Depot only sales these blubs on line. However, you
can arrange at - time of order - to pick them up at their local stores.
I had mine shipped to my home as I live more than fifty miles from their
nearest store.

Single blubs can be purchased at:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-A19-Dimmable-LED-Light-Bulb-BA19-08027OMF-12DE26-2U100/204592770

You can find them in six pack at a better unit price here:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/cree%2520led%2520light%2520blubs%2520six%2520pack?NCNI-5

My orders were delivered in custom packages that were obviously done by
the manufacture and in the case of "six packs"  each package was held in
place by custom supports within a well labeled manufacture's carton.

The bulbs are available in two color temperatures 2700º K and 5000º K. I
prefer the soft-white (2700º K) for household use. The 5000º K seems too
harsh for reading and etc, but is quite good for photography as its very
close to bright sunlight.

73,
Danny, K6MHE