[RFI] LED Bulbs

CR ka5s at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 12:18:28 EST 2014

Oh, I agree Dave.   Around 1986 or so I had a lot of power line noise on
2 meters, which I tracked down to a power pole just outside the
Haverhill, MA, airport control tower (about 2 miles away). That got
fixed after I told the tower.

But sometimes they don't know or suspect interference.

Some years and states later, I heard police on a scanner saying they
couldn't hear the dispatcher and mobiles (on their UHF repeater) from
where they'd taken shelter from a holed up crazy who was taking potshots
at them.   They were right next to a probably Part-15-legal remote telco
cabinet.     They thought the problem was radios.

LED's that interfere even with VHF are a VERY good cause to complain, if
only because any mass marketed device that generates RFI can cause a
great deal of harm; RFI on ILS frequencies might be a wakeup call.
Hopefully, before someone lands a airliner outside the airport!

Cortland
KA5S