[RFI] DSP for a noisy environment

wa3afs at nycap.rr.com wa3afs at nycap.rr.com
Fri Feb 21 20:30:18 EST 2014

Thanks Dale (and others),

Yes, we have considered attacking the problem from several aspects.  Due to governement
security concerns, we have no internet access either (no computers, unless we bring our own
and then there is NO wifi either).

We did try a KX3 and its DSP was quite an improvement.  That is why I am looking to see
what rigs may work well in this environment and the budget of the NWS who have agreed to
'look into' andd possibly fund this effort.  I do find the K3 and KX3 a little daunting when it
comes to finding something in the menus.  Want a well designed rig that considered the
human in front of the knobs.

The NWS is located on the 3rd floor of a nano research facility (multiple buildings) on the
campus of the U of Albany.  We have no access to the ground for a NVIS antenna.  We do
have an off center  fed dipole (and UHF/VVHF antenna) on the roof which does work well (if
only we could 'hear').  Those driving on interstate 90 in Albany may have noticed the weird
(almost boat-shaped) building just south of interstate 90.

Hopefully a modern rig could easily interface with a laptop (which we would have to provide)
and psk would then become a possibility.

Staffing multiple locations (remote base, etc) is problematic as any 'big' event will take up our
skilled operators (Hurricane Sandy had our SEC, DEC, down at shelters almost 100 miles
south of here.)  There are not a lot of skilled operators around here once we staff the county
EOCs, the Red Cross, the state EOC, NWS, and any local shelters.  At least we do have
good relationships between the counties.

So far I have seen some 'votes' for the Kenwood 590S, the Kenwood 2000.  I love my ICOM
7600 but I am sure the cost would not fly.

73
  -- Bruce