[RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 138, Issue 5

Wes Stewart via RFI rfi at contesting.com
Thu Jul 10 12:50:09 EDT 2014

Years ago I purchased and installed some four tube 4' fixtures from Home Depot.  This was still in the analog TV days and CH4 TV was actually wiped out when the lights were on.  I examined the innards and discovered "commercial" ballasts.  The manufacturer (forget the name) also made a version with "residential" (filtered) ballasts.

I talked to the store manager and emphasized that when I walked into the store I could plainly see "Home" on the outside and politely asked why they were selling items that were *not* for use in a "Home."

He of course was blindsided by this information and offered to give me a refund.  Since these were installed in my newly built garage and wired through EMT I was not interested in this option and instead requested that he order the residential ballasts, which I agreed to install.  He did and I did and the problem was solved.

I priced the ballasts separately and as I recall they were in the $90 range.  I paid $40 something for the fixtures.

Wes  N7WS

Message: 1