[RFI] New EOC Building

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Tue Jul 15 10:24:07 EDT 2014

You make a good point Jim.  There's nothing I could find in the guidelines/standard aimed at operations below 30MHz.

However, an EOC is a really just special Comm Site.  I wouldn't ignore industry recommendations for lightning protection and AC power safety based on the fact it's doesn't specify any standards for operations below 30 MHZ if they even exist.  Lightning is very broadbanded so anything put into place to deal with lightning will benefit the ham bands as well as commercial site operations.  If things are bonded and grounded properly, there's much less chance of creating other unexpected RF problems no matter what the frequency of operation.

My rule for using R56 at ham shacks:  Look for special exception guidelines like 911 centers, roof mounted sites, etc, that may be similar to what your ham shack looks like in your home.  For an EOC, I'd look very closely at guidelines for 911 dispatch comm centers that must operate 24/7/365.

73, de ed -K0iL