[RFI] Noise...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Mar 13 13:05:32 EDT 2014

On 12 Mar 2014 at 20:43, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:

> : However, before I can land on anyone, I have to find the source. Haven't
> : got that yet.
>
> You mentioned an FT-817, have you checked on higher bands?

It is an FT-890 loaned to me, and I have checked from BC to 10 meters so
far. The strength of the noise drops off markedly above 20 meters, although I
can still hear it on 10 meters.

What I am doing now is resurrecting one of my "ancient" Stoddart NM-20B
(AN/PRM-1) "Noise Meters" and as soon as I get the final bits from Mouser
to complete the refurbishment, will go hunting.

The NM-20B, which is a high-quality, 7 band, receiver, with switchable BFO,
tunes from 150 Khz through 25 MHz, and includes various "input devices"
including a shielded tuned loop, and a device to allow the input to be
connected directly to the AC line.

The operator's manual is LOADED with excellent information on finding
noise.

The build-quality of Stoddart gear is simply amazing to behold. Truly
beautiful! Stoddart made such "Noise Meters" that cover from 20 Hz through
18 GHz.

I have those which cover from 20 Hz up through about 4 GHz. but haven't
had a reason to use any...until now.

Ken W7EKB