[RFI] ARRL to FCC...

Kelly Johnson n6kj.kelly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:20:30 EDT 2014

I understand why the FCC doesn't want to force every device to meet such
strict standards that it can't possibly cause harmful interference.  What I
don't understand is why the FCC isn't willing/able to put the burden of
fixing it or replacing it on the manufacturer and/or importer.  Why do they
put the burden on the consumer?  Well, I think I know the answer: follow
the money.

The problem we have today is that the burden all falls on the poor sap that
bought the device.  Our neighbors assume that the $1000 TV they buy meets
all standards.  They are understandably upset when a neighboring ham tells
them that they must fix or replace it, esp. when the TV manufacturer won't
lift a finger to solve the problem.  IMO, the FCC rules should force
manufacturers and/or importers to fix or replace any device found to cause
harmful interference.  If my neighbor mistakenly buys a device that
interferes with my station, then that neighbor should be able to call a
"hotline" number and get their device fixed or replaced at the manufacturer
or importers expense.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.
Manufacturers typically claim ignorance and refuse to replace these devices.