[RFI] An inverter question or two.

Dale svetanoff at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 18:53:01 EDT 2014

Ken,

If I may, I'd like to suggest a non-inverter approach, since your output power requirements are quite modest:

How about an audio amplifier approach?  There are numerous low power (5 to 30 watt or so) PA amplifiers around (new or used on eBay or at hamfests) that could do the job.  The key is the fact that amps intended for PA use often have actual output transformers so that they can provide industry standard "constant voltage output" at the 25 or 70.7 volt levels.  If you feed a nice sine wave into the amp, you will get a nice sine wave out as long as you do not drive the amp into clipping.  You can then do what you want by using the 70.7 volt output tap.

An alternative is if you have only a conventional audio amp intended for mobile use (13.8 VDC operation), drive it with a nice sine wave and connect the output into a tube audio output transformer that is connected backwards.  That is, drive the 4 or 8 ohm speaker winding of the old xfmr and take the output off the plate (primary) side winding.

I would not be suggesting either approach if you needed 100 watts or more, but for the few watts you need, a true inverter is almost overkill.  You are correct, of course, in wanting to avoid use of square wave or other non-sinusoid wave methods.

73, Dale
WA9ENA