[RFI] What I use to find Interference Sources

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 1 00:42:48 EDT 2015

Since power companies usually use the Radar Engineers equipment, which tunes
about 310-330 MHz AM (don't know for sure, I'd have to look again), who is
playing with the 315 MHz AM receivers than can be had on ebay for a few tens
of cents?  Sensitivity is more than adequate, usually in the -110dB range
and since they are broadband, I've seen many around 50-100 KHz, putting an
amplified computer speaker on it the audio bandwidth would be limited by the
speaker, your ears or a capacitor added to the output, you'd have something
comparable to the RE unit for about a buck.  Add a fancy Yagi made of scrap
and you're in the 5-10 dollar range.  That's a lot better than the $5K or so
for their fancy AM radio.  An idea if someone is looking for a project.

Kurt