[RFI] ARRL Board of Directors resolution related to FCC enforcement of radio-interference issues

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Aug 4 21:54:49 EDT 2015

Your prediction is quite timely and accurate:  They are back.

http://www.insidegnss.com/node/4437

Like a virus or some relatives, they never seem to be gone for long.
Their return does not bode well for ham RFI problems when a high profile
company whose product has been shown to cause dangerous interference,
returns from bankruptcy to do it again because Billions of dollars are
at stake..  If they can fight GPS and flight safety, how does our fate
fighting RFI look?  They are not addressing solving the problem it
appears they are proactively fighting for the potential Billions of
dollars they would gain from the unfair advantage the inexpensive
spectrum would give them over existing companies that are playing by the
rules.

As before, LightSquared blames others for their problems. They trying to
require those being interfered fix the problem rather than the one doing
the interfering.  Depending on how this is settled could spell trouble
for the ham community.  As this has some very powerful people behind
it,  People who are well connected.  I find it worrisome that we appear
to almost be back to square one with the GPS interference issue.
Remember, the FCC was originally behind the LightSquared proposal. This
spectrum was created specifically to work with very weak signals as are
the aircraft receivers where weight, physical size, and cost are
paramount..  It also has the appearance that the implementation of high
speed broadband is being sought at the expense of safety with the
entire, established system, including users of that system, being
expected to bear the costs rather than the interloper.

It's basically the same as telling us, that if someone interferes with
us, we have to pay for the fix and that no spectrum is safe if there's a
buck to be made so it will remain a fight to keep what we have and be
glad the ARRL has had enough clout and connections to preserve and at
times, even expand the spectrum to which we have access.  Let's hope it
remains that way.

Roger (K8RI)