[RFI] 40 Meter OTH Radar?

Don Moman VE6JY ve6jy.1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 01:28:45 EST 2015

Well I'm equally "pretty sure" this isn't the Chinese radar. I hear the
Chinese stuff regularly on 40 and other frequencies and this is quite
different. Doesn't mean it can't be something different from China, of
course - I'm not an expert as to what they are transmitting but to me the
propagation doesn't fit either.  Surely someone must live within groundwave
of this stuff....

Same with the 400 khz wide radar on the lower part of 80m.  For many months
I (and others here in VE6 and VE7) have been noticing a wideband radar signal
in the lower portion of 80m. It starts well below the band (~3350 khz) and
is continuous up to ~3750. Some people describe it like an engine with
noisy spark plugs idling outside their home.....   It's heard here in
Alberta typically after dark, sometimes even late afternoon,  not usually
strong but very noticeable. Strongest on a  SSE facing beverage.  It seems
to always use the same 400 khz range.   It's on for several minutes at a
time, I haven't timed it so not sure how rigid the timing is or if it is at
all.  I don't know if it hops somewhere else when it not on that portion of
80m.  I've checked on various remote rx sites but the choices are limited
and none have given any useful indications.

I have joined the Dopplergrams list in the hopes of learning more.

73 Don
VE6JY

[image: Company Logo]