[RFI] RFI hunting on 160: TH-F6a?

Frank N. Haas KB4T utility.rfi.pro at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 22:06:43 EST 2015

Most of the time I don't use an external antenna with the 660. Most of the
time I use it as is. I use the 660 to walk around a structure while
watching the signal strength meter to get an idea if (a) I'm at the right
structure and/or (b) where in the structure the source might be. I use
other tools to get me to the structure in the first place. I carry the
receiver in my hand without any case for it at all.

I can cite an example: A customer complained of a continuous carrier on
3950 kHz and thought it might be coming from the power distribution
facilities nearby. 3950 is the North Florida Emergency Communications
frequency and the complaining party is active on that frequency. Upon
arrival I listened to the customer's equipment and sure enough there was a
dead,unmodulated carrier on 3950 kHz. Power distribution facilities don't
produce this type of interference but I had to prove the utility innocent.
I grabbed the 660 and took a walk around the customer's home. I could just
barely hear the signal.

Next I walked around a neighboring house. The signal was slightly stronger.
Then I walked around the house next door and the signal strength meter
began to peak. One click of the 660's "DX/Normal/Local" switch and a quick
walk around yielded the spot outside the house where the signal was the
strongest. The customer knew the resident. We visited and a quick sweep in
the living room showed that the large flat screen TV was the source. The
resident was cooperative enough to pull the plug on the TV and the carrier
went away.

The small size, wide frequency range and battery power makes the 660 a
perfect tool for such sweeps. The TV owner and affected ham never worked
out any sort of arrangement to reduce the impact of this nuisance. The TV
manufacturer never responded to the owner's attempts to get help resolving
the problem. It took a year but the TV owner eventually moved away.

Another example:  Complainant contacts the utility because his ham receiver
is deafened by a very strong continuous hash from 1 to 7.5 MHz. This
customer has utility transmission lines in his backyard. A drive through
the neighborhood clearly shows the interference is near the complaining
party's home. The transmission lines are producing a slight buzz barely
detectable at VHF frequencies. Nothing heard from the transmission lines on
HF. I take the 660 for a walk around the adjacent neighbor's homes and it
becomes clear that one of them contains the source. This neighbor is much
more cooperative. He allows me in and another large flat screen TV is
proven to be the source. I believe this neighbor gave the offending TV to a
relative and bought something that didn't produce interference to his ham
neighbor.

As a utility investigator, it's easier for me to do these walk-arounds
because I wear clear utility identification. I'm allowed to check meters
and service drops even if it means entering private property. Your
situation may vary and it's always best to get permission. Carrying the 660
is easy and makes the job easy to do.

When not in use, I remove the batteries from the 660. The "always on"
display eventually drains the batteries. I don't use the 660 every day. In
fact a month or more may pass before I use it again. Pulling the batteries
allows them to last much longer. The 660 rides in a Thermos pouch that is
part of a larger, multi-pocket organizer that hangs on the passenger seat
of my work van. I don't coddle the 660 but I don't abuse it either.

Hope this answers the question.

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator