[RFI] likely frequency for LED bulbs?

Tom Thompson w0ivj at tomthompson.com
Fri Jan 9 19:48:54 EST 2015

Hi Greg,

I suggest you build a fixture with a bulb socket on one end and an AC
plug on the other end so you can light the bulb.  Before you put the AC
plug on the cord, wrap a toroid (eg FT117-43) full of #22 enamel wire
and terminate it in a BNC connector.  Put the AC cord through the toroid
with 1 or 2 turns and then put on the AC plug. You now have an RF
current probe.  Connect your radio (make sure not to transmit) with a
short piece of coax.  Start with an incandescent bulb as a reference and
record the noise.  The noise level should be negligible if the toroid is
not acting like an antenna.  If it is, put it in an enclosure.  Next
screw in your test bulbs and see what the noise is on the various
bands.  If you have a calibrated receiver, the current probe should be
fairly flat over the HF band.

Hope this helps,

Tom   W0IVJ