[RFI] likely frequency for LED bulbs?

Tom Thompson w0ivj at tomthompson.com
Sat Jan 10 12:43:26 EST 2015

I just made some light bulb measurements using an RF current probe, an
oscilloscope, and a spectrum analyzer.  My current probe is flat within
3 dB from 500 kHz to over 50 MHz.  The common mode current on all bulbs
was negligible through the entire HF band.  The compact fluorescent and
LED lamps had energy below 1 MHz but above 1 MHz the energy was down 70
dB.  The LED lamp had a switching speed of about 25 kHz.  There appeared
to be no spectral components at the -90 dBm level between 1.8 and 30
MHz.  The bulbs used were a 200 watt incandescent, a GE 26 watt helical
compact fluorescent made in China, and a FEIT 60 watt replacement LED
that uses 9.5 watts made in Taiwan and available at COSTCO.  I can email
the spectral plots to anyone interested.

73,   Tom   W0IVJ