[RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Jan 11 22:57:44 EST 2015

OK, gang, I need some different help here.

I have a 4 port wireless router (Trendnet TEW-812DRU at the moment)
connected to our main computer and two others in the home, not including
the laptops that connect to it periodically.

I have replaced the router at least 4 times over the past year or two due to
the fact that RF from my ham station is getting into it through one or more of
the three CAT-5 cables I have connected to it.

I have installed several of those snap-on filters on all three of the CAT-5
cables which connect to it, and also on both ends of the DC power cable,
making seveal "loops" through each filter.

I still wipe out the router every time I get on the air. I have destroyed one
$169.00 router, and two less expensive ones, a TPNET and a Cisco.

The only solution I have come up with is to disconnect the CAT-5 cables (all
three of them) from the router each time I get on the air.

Has anyone here had a similar problem, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

BTW, one of my CAT-5 cables runs to the ham shack, where it connects to a
dumb 4 port switch...

This has become a giant PITA.

Any ideas?

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne