[RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jan 12 13:31:18 EST 2015

On Mon,1/12/2015 9:42 AM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
> I'm strongly thinking of going all wireless.

I've been almost exactly that since moving to CA in 2006. The wireless
router is in the house, the shack is about 40 ft away. Both buildings
are wood frame construction. The only things connected via CAT5 are
cables from the router to 1) the cable modem, 2) a computer on the desk
next to the router, and 3) a printer next to the computer. There are
multi-turn #31 chokes on all of those CAT5 cables, and also on the power
supply cables. The power supplies for router and modem are linear wall
warts float-charging a sealed lead-acid battery, acting as a UPS for the
network. The chokes are there so that I don't hear the Ethernet traffic
on the ham bands -- typically around 14,030, 21,063, and the bottom end
of 10M and 6M. For 6M, I add two-turn chokes between the HF chokes and
the electronics.

I have four computers in the shack (two for radio, two for the remains
of my biz), all of them on the network. For RTTY contests, I network two
laptops to run SO2R, each dedicated to a radio. Networking works quite
well.

73, Jim K9YC