[RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Jul 22 13:04:53 EDT 2015

On 21 Jul 2015 at 19:07, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:

> Large red box built by PARMAX. SOLAR PAK 6 Model DF-SP-L1 (Kansas City)

OK. I just checked the manufacturer's site. The specified voltages are:

11.5 KV when the entire fence is "open circuit" and 2650 Volts at 500 ohms.

>From your report, you measured something like 300 volts at one point, and
even less at another.

300 Volts, if that is an accurate measurement,  indicates an impedance of
less than 60 ohms. (2650/500=300/X)

There is DEFINITELY some sort of short-circuit somewhere in that fence
system.

I REALLY think that even you could "feel" a 2600 volt pulse!!!! I know I sure
could!!!!

Also, the unit is specified for use in small to medium pastures, whatever that
means.

There is most certainly something wrong with the installation. My suggestion
to disconnect, completely, the bottom strand of the system, then to re-check
its performance with only the top, completely clear (supposedly) strand would
at least make the issue more clear.

Someone else here with far more experience than I with farms and electric
fences also said that in his opinion there was definitely a problem with the
installation.

Have you yet compiled the info we have tried to share with you and
presented it to the other fellow?

Have you taken this man to the point in his fence system where YOU felt
almost nothing and had him "test" it himself?

If you cannot convince him of 1) your competence in such matters, and 2)
that there IS a problem with his installation, and 3) that it is MOST LIKELY
his installation that is causing severe interference to your federally licensed
radio station, then maybe you had better consider calling in some "bigger
guns" if such exist in your area.

To my way of thinking, this has gone far enough.

Ken W7EKB