[RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Jul 22 13:41:40 EDT 2015

Hi Ken,

I am taking this step by step and yes, the owner is working with me, but I have to first convince him I know what I am talking about. WE've never encountered each other before, so we have no history.  I want it to be a good one.  I told him about my concern about him losing his horses.  I said I help you, you help me.  He seemed to like that.

I am a ham, ex apprentice electrician and current EE TEchnologist so at least have some idea what I am talking about ;-)

Electric fences are new to me, but Electricity is Electricity.

It's slow going, but he's not resistant.  Just very busy like most folks.  Has a day job outside horses.

Two weeks ago he redid a connection or two (more to go)-no real change.

Last week he added another short ground rod and one large ground plate this last weekend. . (we cannot really drive a rod here more than 1-2 feet, max.

This morning @ 7am I noticed it was off.....whatever that means.  Could be he was redoing a connection before he hustled off to work.
Since yesterday I now know his make and model so I have printed out a manual for him highlighting 7 or 8 times in there that says (essentially) "weeds are bad and it won't work touching the weeds" so I will drop that off tonight and/or tomorrow.

I bought a fence tester and told him he could use it any time he wanted and/or I would help troubleshoot it.  Not forcing me to do it for him.  Getting him to ask ME to help him more or less.

BTW, I was NOT able to even measure 300v is what I said.  I touched it last night (with him as a witness) as the fence came around the last part of around 1000' of wire-rope and barely felt a spark.....so maybe a couple hundred volts? (a wild guess)

I'll get there. WIth your guys help and my work with him.

The very worst thing I could do is go waving around my rights and rules and my ham license.  Not sure who told me that, but that's not how we do things here in NB.  I appreciate the advice, but I am months if not years from doing that.  Strictly a last resort !

Mike VE9AA