[RFI] Query for the group.

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jul 25 19:18:19 EDT 2015

On Sat,7/25/2015 3:20 PM, Charles Gallo wrote:
> Jim, the problem around here with wifi is I can count 14 access points in range, so bandwidth is horrible
>
> I've found making my own Ethernet cables, each with a type 31 1/2 inch ID, Circa 1/2 long with the 3 or 4 turns I can stuff through works well. My problem is living in Queens (part of NYC) wher the houses are all on 40x100 lots, there are a metric ton of RFI sources. I can tell when the neighbors are running their wash, etc. I can't afford $100s of ferrite for every house within say 500 feet, and most would tell me to buzz off, so I live with S7 background noise on some bands. Killing my own stuff helped, as well as the worst of some of the closer neighbors

I know your pain -- I spent 42 years in Chicago mixed residential/light
industrial neighborhoods before escaping to somewhat rural NorCal 9
years ago.

Remember though that you don't need to spend big bucks on ferrite cores
to choke Ethernet cables for this sort of RFI. Clamp-ons that are 0.5-in
i.d. are big enough to choke Ethernet cables. Get together with your
local hams and do a group purchase. #43 mix is less expensive than #31,
and all you need above 5 MHz. Study the Fair-Rite catalog to find
clamp-ons about 1-inch long and at least 1/2-in i.d.  You'll start
getting quantity breaks with 100 pieces or more.  3/4-in i.d. cores are
a bit more expensive, but will handle video cables and many power
cables, so you may build more quantity that way. My last group buy was
for about 1,000 3.4-in i.d. #31 cores. We paid $2.30 plus tax and
shipping. That was more than a year ago.

Try Dexter Magnetics near Chicago.

73, Jim K9YC