[RFI] Other Noise Challenge For Ed!

David Cole dave at nk7z.net
Mon Jul 27 22:13:33 EDT 2015

Joe,

A few years ago, I had a RFI source from an area with underground
utilities.  I located a source by driving to each underground
transformer and taking a reading at 7 MHz, using a short antenna and a
standard procedure for pointing etc.  I wanted to have a standard way of
reading the signal levels.  I did the same thing at each transformer I
could find, then took the data and plotted it on a Google map of the
area, then hand drew contour curves to the various S meter levels I had
gotten...  Much to my surprise it formed a great big target ellipse.  I
think I got very lucky, but it might be worth a try for you.  I then
walked around with a 123MHz beam and TH-F6 in the suspect area.

Found the house in short order...  Contacted the owner, and a few weeks
later the RFI was gone.

As Ed said, in each case, "First Contact" is so important...  If you
come on strong, and tell the person they are in violation of anything,
they get really quiet...  If you approach them as a neighbor, things go
really well...

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net