[RFI] Internet Modem / Router Cable Length and RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jun 1 01:11:44 EDT 2015

Think of EVERY cable connected to digital electronics as an antenna
radiating trash. That includes the router's coax or telco cable, and all
the power supply cables.

Guidelines.  Shorter cables are better, ALL with common mode chokes.If
cables are longer than about 1/10 wavelength at frequencies you care
about, choke both ends. Make maximum use of WiFi for routing.

Replace all switch-mode power supplies with linear ones that you have
scrounged or saved or bought at hamfests or second hand stores.  My
router and cable modem run from a vintage lead-acid battery that is
float charged by a linear wall wart. No noise from the PSU, and it's
also a UPS for that gear. My internet doesn't die in a power failure
until the cable company's batteries run down (they're good for about 6
hours, our outages here in the mountains can get a lot longer).

For conceptual discussion and lots of specifics, see k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC