[RFI] RFI @ VHF Line Filters

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Jun 1 08:11:58 EDT 2015

Roger,

Thanks for your comments. I got behind - Spring crunch season!

> What make and model PS?

I don't know. It is at the repeater site and I have not been able to
get up there to check on it yet. This is a "new" computer which was
custom assembled from components as a donation to a cause. Given the
source, it was probably an expensive supply - not that cost
correlates to RFI radiating potential.

> I view changing models, makes, and sizes with a bit of worry so if
> planning a change I purchase one and give it a thorough workout.  In all
> these years, I've only had two fail and no ingress or egress from any.
> It's been a long time so I do not remember the make and model of either
> PS that failed. They just quit working.  All have had internal line
> filters from the factory.

I have had a number of computer power supplies fail, and several
that were very offensive RFI generators. Typically I have replaced
the RFI offenders and had reasonably good luck in so doing.

My two computers here at the house are quiet. One by its nature, the
other after adding a line filter. It was only problematic at HF
where commonly available inexpensive line filters are most effective.

Following other advice in this thread, I have ordered a Corcom 6EF1
filter which should be arriving today or tomorrow. I will try it in
the offending power supply at the repeater site along with the
existing snap-on ferrites on the power cored and hope for the best.
If this doesn't do it I will have no choice but to try a different
power supply. I'm hoping it won't come to that but I must eliminate
RFI at that site!

Paul Kelley, N1BUG
RFI Committee chair,
Piscataquis Amateur Radio Club