[RFI] Comcast/Xfinity X1 service

David Cole dave at nk7z.net
Thu Jun 25 10:21:02 EDT 2015

Hi Bill,

Rest assured you share your bandwidth with every DSL customer in your
area, and the entire telco.  It all get aggregated someplace, either on
the way to the CO, or at the CO.

Telcos of late, (last few years), have been deploying remote DSLAMS, and
emulating the cable model, (using remote nodes poked way out in the
fringes of coverage to extend range from the CO), I have one about 500
feet from my home, (and several miles from teh CO), and have examined it
carefully once when it was opened by a telco person.

The same bandwidth distribution model is in play with DSL, although here
Comcast scales it differently.

Not to defend Comcast, (they certainly have their issues), but my
Internet service is second to none with Comcast, and DSL here has a
reputation of not being anywhere near as good as cable...

No matter when I test it, and over the years I have tested it hundreds
of times), I ALWAYS, get my rated up/down speeds, or better with
Comcast.  Else it is broken completely...  I have had maybe three
slowdowns in 5 years, all fixed within a day.

DSL in this part of the country is just the opposite, the DSLAMs seem to
be spread far, wide, and packed with users, so the model you described
is much worse here than in your part of the country.

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net

For MixW support see;