[RFI] RF into home alarm system

W5GN w5gn at mxg.com
Sun Oct 18 22:19:05 EDT 2015

My first time on the air from our vacation cottage in Ireland,
my 100 watt IC756PROIII hit our alarm system; my polywire
inverted V was only 14 feet high and the 80 meter leg passed
near the equipment.

I disconnected the phone line and ran 8 turns around a 2.4 inch
toroid and the problem went away, so I operated in the 2006
WPX SSB contest with no problems in my house, and hopefully
didn't impact our one nearby neighbor.

So I was dismayed on Monday when my cousin stopped by and said
"I saw yer neighbor Michel at church on Sunday; he said he
heard you on the radio this weekend"

Crap, I think, and asked Mihal, "Do you know how he heard me?
Was it the TV, or the radio, or the stero, or the phone?"

Naw, Barry, he heard you thru the window as he walked by.

73

Barry, W5GN