[RFI] 40 Meter RFI Issue

Michael Coslo mcoslo at comcast.net
Sat Sep 26 19:23:28 EDT 2015

Update on my 40 meter RFI problem.

Ever have one of those days when you meet the enemy, and he is you?

Getting ready for the PAQSO Party was keeping me pretty busy latelym so I was living with the noise.

Today, I was installing my HF radio into my new Jeep, and after turning on the power to the radio, was met with a lot of RFI - it sounded familiar, only a lot stronger. So I looked around, and since I occasionally had some noise on AM and FM with weak signals and weird noises from the inverter in the Jeep, I turned off the inverter.  And by golly, it became nice and quiet.

So I ran inside and fired up the Flex Radio, and the results were the same - gone!

I’m impressed that the RF that invertor is spewing out is strong enough that it was disrupting my shack rig. It’s about 50 feet away from, and 50 feet lower than the antenna.

So if anyone sees the Youtube video, it might help them diagnose the problem if they have it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufeyOflkueY&feature=em-upload_owner

Now the question is, has anyone silenced one of these inverters successfully?

-73 de Mike N3LI -