[RFI] Continuous job keeping radio frequencies clean

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Aug 10 15:40:21 EDT 2016

Thanks for posting your quest, your detective work, and your solution.
All are classic examples of those sources and what it takes to track and
kill them.

EVERY power supply should be considered  culprit unless proven
otherwise. Nearly ALL modern power supplies are swichers, and are
noisy.  Many/(most?) devices that include digital electronics produce RF
noise, so they should also be considered a possible culprit unless
proven otherwise.

RF noise is nearly always RADIATED by wires connected to it. When we
place a good enough choke on those wires, we greatly reduce the current,
which greatly reduces the radiated noise. In this case, the main antenna
was the power line. In other situations, it could be the coax cable
going to a CATV system, or the audio and/or video wiring to a home
entertainment system or a TV.

73, Jim K9YC