[RFI] Solar Panel RFI

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Aug 10 15:54:25 EDT 2016

Hi Ed,

It's been long enough ago since I studied it that I don't remember
details that bothered me, but dim memory is that it was some details
about the chokes used and about recommendations for specific wiring
techniques.  I think I also had issues with the bonding strategy. I'll
the general approach of fixing a bad system -- I strongly believe that
should be the responsibility of the system manufacturer and the
installing contractor. So I believe that what SHOULD have happened was
that the vendor's feet should have been held to the fire.

What's really good about the piece are: 1) the recognition of the
interconnected wiring as a magnetic loop, something I've been
evangelizing about for at least 10 years since I learned about it from
Neil Muncy (ex-W3WJE, SK) about 15 years ago in the context of baseband
and RF interference to audio systems. 2) the use of twisted pair for all
wiring carrying significant currents to kill the magnetic field produced
by noise (another thing I've been evangelizing about for at least 20
years); 3) the recognition that twisted pair is needed for both DC and
AC wiring in these situations because those circuits carry RF noise; 4)
use of ferrite chokes to suppress the common mode component; and 4) how
much it takes to kill RFI from a bad system.

73, Jim K9YC