[RFI] Portable DFing at HF

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 04:00:06 EDT 2016

: Respectfully, I must disagree with you here. I think that is absolutely
: the wrong way to handle this issue.
:
: The Amateur Operator involved has a family. That family could be put in
: actual, physical danger, if word got back to the party purported to be
: generating the RFI that the Ham across the street reported it.

Yeah...  Someone calls the ANONYMOUS tip line, a friend of a friend of a
friend from out of town using a barrowed phone and fake name, just to have
someone in a position to do so POLITELY check on it as their job requires...

Probably a LOT more dangerous than Joe Ham going to the front door
introducing themselves with callsign, handing out some ARRL pamphlets and
leaving a  contact number...  Guess I didn't think that through AT ALL!

Just because we're Hams doesn't mean we are the heavy or have to put
ourselves at any risk at all.  The two or three suggestions I've seen on how
to approach this are about as terrifying and as foolish as a position one
can place themselves in aside from jokingly putting plans to join ISIS on
their facebook page and marking it "public" then using the ATM at the local
federal office to get cash for a one-way plane ticket while discussing their
plans loudly on a cell phone passing through the metal detectors during an
INTERPOL convention and making disparaging comments about the Pope.

OK, bad analogy, that'll just get you a good talking to and a free lunch,
this pot growing RFI is real!

The systems to handle such things are already in place, yet, for some
reason, most Hams are Hell bent an ignoring them, avoiding them, almost
violently opposing them, in this forum, and somehow taking the Cap'n Hero
approach to handling it themselves because they hear a light bulb in their
radio and feel they have to march up the door of a potentially whacked out
and well armed dealer/grower/user/annoyed person to discuss it with them at
length.

Some stoner MIGHT be violating city, county, state and federal laws, at the
very least, it's having a negative impact on at least one person, but, IT'S
OK!  We're HAMS! WE'LL take care of it cuz there's some sort of
inapplicable moral "high road" we can kinda sorta maybe but not really
apply to this situation, because we're HAMS 'n' junk, and, you know, Hams
take care of this kinda stuff...

Horses--t.  Use the system designed for, and put in place for, including
protecting yourself from, such things.

I'm envisioning a bunch of do-gooder hams sporting capes of moldy bath
towels and ginormous butt-chins with a BaoFeng scotch taped to their dirty
underoos doing the Andy Kaufman Mighty Mouse routine.  (check youtube)

Kurt