[RFI] Portable DFing at HF (long)

EDWARDS, EDDIE J eedwards at oppd.com
Tue Aug 16 09:32:33 EDT 2016

A scary FCC letter is all you'll get out of the FCC today.  There's no teeth in Part 15 enforcement when it comes to anything but power line noise, and BPL proved that not solid either.  I have not heard of any individuals actually hauled into court over RFI from a Part 15 device they legally purchased at a retail store.

Once you go federal law on someone who knows it's a toothless letter, you are done.  No options are left to resolve the problem.  While you may be technically correct it's not our monkey, not our circus, you've cut off any chance to remove the RFI problem from your receiver.  You'll just have to live with it or move away from it.

We had one utility customer who faced that problem when his lawyer neighbor with a noisy ceiling fan knew there was nothing he could do except call the FCC.  She still has her noisy fan, and he can't hear anything on his AM radio.  End of story.

Seems it be easier to save calling in the feds until after a neighborly conversation to get the feel for what might be possible first.

73, de ed -K0iL