[RFI] Mobile K3s/P3 RX only?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Dec 25 16:56:23 EST 2016

On Sun,12/25/2016 10:57 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
> I'm doing a rundown test right now on a gel cell I could also use but I'd
> rather have as little equipment to carry around as possible.
>
> I would be stopping and turning off the car at each measurement location.
> Antenna would be my National RF DF loop with the appropriate loop
> installed. I'd use a relatively long coax from the loop to the car interior
> to get away from the metal.
>
> Thoughts?

I would suggest that you try to operate independent of the vehicle's
electrical system to minimize the possibility of coupling noise from it,
and certainly to be able to stop and measure with the car turned off.
Several members of this list have posted spectral response data showing
lots of electronic noise that they have identified as coming from their
vehicle.

One of the LiFePO4 batteries sold by Bioenno Power would be a good
option. They have a range of  nominal 12V batteries with capacities from
3Ah to 200Ah. Weight is less 4-5 oz per Ah, and they're much more
compact than lead-acid batteries. Cost is about $11 / Ah. A 6Ah battery
is close to a 3-in cube and weighs 1.4 pounds, and would run the K3/P3
for about 4 hours.

73, Jim K9YC