[RFI] GFCI Operation

Paul Christensen pchristensen at ieee.org
Tue Feb 2 17:39:24 EST 2016

> "A GFCI will protect against a shock that would result from the hot wire
conducting current to the ground conductor or external ground, but it will
not protect against a shock from the hot to the neutral wires. One can still
be seriously shocked in a GFCI-protected circuit. Ed, W1RFI"

Ed, I believe this is an exception limited to a leakage path onto the
grounded neutral conductor of the same branch circuit.   The GFCI should
protect against leakage to ground or to any other neutral other than the
branch circuit supplying current to the GFCI.  Still, you make a very valid
point in that the GFCI does not protect against *all* forms of leakage
current.

Paul, W9AC