[RFI] Galaxy Grow Light Ballast Update

Tom Thompson w0ivj at tomthompson.com
Tue Feb 2 18:55:13 EST 2016

I did an LTSpice simulation of switching 120 volts through a 600 uH
inductor into an 8 ohm load.  The inductor delays 30 amps  of current
through the load by 600 microseconds and 15 amps by 200 microseconds.
Even with the fast switching speed of a magnetic breaker, the delay is
insignificant.  I think the best magnetic breaker switches in about 3
milliseconds.

Also, the human body will never draw enough current to flip a normal
breaker.  On the other hand if a person touches the hot wire of a GFCI
protected circuit while in contact with a ground, the person will
unbalance the current in the hot-neutral circuit and trip the GFCI if
the current imbalance exceeds 10 to 20 milliamps.  This protects human life.

Tom   W0IVJ