[RFI] Using the SDRPlay receiver for RFI for searches

Tom Thompson w0ivj at tomthompson.com
Tue Feb 9 13:30:01 EST 2016

Hi Frank,

I have used SDR Console and HDSDR and decided that HDSDR is the best app
for me.  It takes some time to learn, however.

  I have recently been tracking down some CenturyLink modem uplink
leakage that is present from 3.75 MHz to 5.1 MHz.  The antenna system,
which consists of a high impedance preamp and a 3 ft. whip, is really
important since it is not tuned and I don't have a narrow band antenna
factor to worry about.  The down side of that kind of a set up is that
SDRPlay may become overloaded since the system is looking wide band.  To
overcome that, I have built some small band pass filters that I insert
between the high impedance preamp and the SDRPlay receiver.  These
filters pass only the spectrum that I am interested in.  So far I have
filters for 80m, 40m, 20m, and the Century link spectrum.  If I am not
near any strong broadcast stations, the filters are not needed.  Also,
the wide spectrum of SDRPlay allows me to see what I am really tracking
and not to get confused by other noise sources in the area.

I always use VHF or UHF with a Yagi to track power line noise.

73,   Tom   W0IVJ