[RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 157, Issue 16

Dave Cole dave at nk7z.net
Thu Feb 11 13:51:00 EST 2016

Hi Ken,

One of the good things I have noticed of late, is that at least in
Oregon, ("legal" state), the RFI is getting better, not worse...

Oregon has a set of different regs than CO, or WA. and I suspect this
is why.  Here in Oregon, the growers, need to become certified, which
involves the state, regulations, and rules, lots of them...

See:
http://bigbudsmag.com/marijuana-growers-react-to-oregon-marijuana-law/

I think this is very good for Amateur Radio.  It allows pot to be
grown, (which will happen anyway), but only if you meet certain
standards, and most small home growers can't, or won't meet these
standards.  The growers just start buying at the sales points, or
better yet, their customers buy at the sales points, thus forcing the
smaller operators out of the market, and thus reducing my RFI levels.

This in essence appears to be forcing growers to move to larger and
larger facilities, which are not allowed in residential areas, thus my
RFI gets less and less with time.

These folks also tend to take RFI seriously, (huge operations), because
if they get caught generating RFI, the FCC can and will have them
correct the issue, which costs them a PILE of money, so they tend to do
it right the first time...  Having the ARRL make lots of noise about
RFI only helps this process as well, and the vendors are starting to
sell RFI quiet lights!

My RFI has dropped 3 S units from January 1, when Oregon's law took
effect.  It was on the rise until January 1, and it has been like
playing Whack-A-Mole around here for the past two years...  You find
one source, kill it, and another pops up a few weeks later...

I hope the ARRL continues to make lots and lots of noise about RFI, and
continues to hold the manufactures, and points of sale's, proverbial
feet to the fire when it comes to RFI, I believe it is helping some
already!!

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave