[RFI] Urban noise

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Feb 13 01:33:32 EST 2016

On Fri,2/12/2016 10:42 AM, Tom Thompson wrote:
> What surprised me was the magnitude.  45 dB above the band noise is a
> lot!!

Well, consider that the average residence probably has 20-30 noise
sources, and most wiring is not shielded by conduit.

It's instructive to drive around with a VHF RX set for AM around 160
MHz, or even an AM broadcast RX. As long as 20 years ago, my colleague
Warren Shulz was CE at WLS, 50kW clear on 890 kHz. Many vehicles were so
noisy that they couldn't RX his station 10-15 miles away!

73, Jim