[RFI] New RFI source for me...

Dave Cole dave at nk7z.net
Sun Jul 24 14:00:52 EDT 2016

On Sun, 2016-07-24 at 13:27 -0400, Frank N. Haas KB4T wrote:
> I'm not familiar with the Alex loop so I can't comment on how it
> compares to the National RF loop system.
>
> I like the National RF system because I can walk with a receiver in
> one hand and the vector gun with loop in the other. The vector gun is
> easy to carry and small enough to be easy and convenient to use.
>
> The National RF system includes a tunable amplifier that both
> increases gain to hear weaker sources or attenuate stronger signals.
> Thus I rarely need to carry a separate attenuator.
>
> The kit includes multiple antenna loops. This provides improved
> sensitivity at any particular frequency.
>
> If the Alex loop offers these advantages and costs less than $300 to
> build or buy then it may be a good choice.
>
> 73,
>
> Frank N. Haas KB4T
> Utility RFI Investigator
> Florida

It sounds like the Vector Gun would be simpler to transport than an Alex
Loop.  The Alex Loop is just a 1 meter loop, not so small as the vector
gun, and no adjustable amp.

I think you have convinced me to get one of the Vector Guns...  Seems a
lot more portable in use than a 1 meter loop!

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)