[RFI] Flourescent lighting

Stephanie WX3K wx3k at ptd.net
Sat Jul 30 13:29:36 EDT 2016

I have a number of local businesses that have VERY noisy indoor
flouescent lighting fixtures. The noise propagates very well on 50 MHz.
I have one business that I have visited on numerous occassions that I
verify there is one string of lighting in their store that completely
obliterates 6 meters. The business is .25 miles away and the noise when
I swing the beam that direction is horrendous.

I am going to chat with the owner again to see if they are open to
having additional mitgation on the lighting like adding EMI filters. I
feel this is the only way to resolve this. Perhaps they do in fact have
a defective ballast or two but I think trying to pin down the noisy
ballast in that one string will allow me to get rid of this issue once
and for all.

Any suggestions on EMI filtering ? I have used some outboard surplus
CORCOM filters on my house flourescent to get rid of this issue and have
rewarding success.

Stephanie WX3K