[RFI] Broadband RFI...

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jun 1 15:18:31 EDT 2016

On Tue,5/31/2016 11:31 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
> Two things I do-- I take my second display for the P3, which is a 7 inch
> LCD, and adjust the brightness to show off the most low level detail
> possible in the waterfall, while setting the P3 display slightly lighter
> to show other aspects, that don't show up when set too low.  I can see
> different things in the same swath of spectrum, at the same time that
> way...
>
> I also run the waterfall in B and W, that was the single most productive
> thing I have done to date to improved my ability to spot little issues
> in the Waterfall...  Getting it out of color mode, and into black and
> white was a Godsend, if you don't run in B/W, give it a try.

Thanks very much for those tips, Dave. I'll give them a try. I've always
run it in color.

I've used P3 and P3/SVGA screen dumps several times in stuff I've
written, and they don't reproduce well on the printed page. For my most
recent, I used Irfanview to turn them into greyscale, then negative,
then played with brightness and contrast to optimize for the printed
page. Prints MUCH better than the best I could do with color.

Good luck with solving your noise problem. Note the stuff about grow
lights in the RFI app note from W0IVJ and W0QE.

73, Jim K9YC