[RFI] Wot the heck!?!?!?!?!?! 40 meters

Peter D. Vouvounas wb3fsr at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 01:22:05 EDT 2016

I've found some of the earlier descriptions interesting wherein some of
descriptors included ' At times, it sounds, literally, like a steam-engine's
chuffing at a low level across the entire band'....

A dear friend and fellow ham lives in Truth or Consequences TorC New Mexico
where he operates a remote HF station.  He also has a similar sounding local
interference generator that regular M-F comes on line when a local business
opens in the morning (car repair garage).  He has used his mobile HF station
and portable HF receiver to identify the noise source location within the
business about a block away from his QTH.

Unfortunately he will not approach the owner/management.

I have heard the offending signal via his remote often.  My research has
pointed strong indication that the offender is a PLASMA TV.  Audibly it
sounds like an engine running at a moderate rate, very strange sound coupled
with a pumping sound and regular rep rate.

My Vote 'Plasma  TV'...

Please keep us posted.

73

PeterV WB3FSR Jersey Shore