[RFI] Topband: Tecsun 660

Cortland Richmond ka5s at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 8 16:46:31 EST 2016

On 3/8/2016 4:19 PM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
> I can't imagine this reliably working well. If noise gets onto long, overhead power lines, it will radiate for a long distance. The noise radiated by lines closer to the shack than the actual source will often skew off the apparent azimuth angle,

Once upon a time, in a place far away, I got involved chasing down some
Cable TV "wireless" modems (carrier current, really) on 3.52 MHz.  Ed
will remember that particular problem.

The most effective way I had to locate each one of those little monsters
was to drive around with my mobile rig in the car until I found
neighborhood with the strongest signals, then get out of the car and
walk from dwelling to dwelling with my AOR 8000 handheld and a small
loop antenna.  That usually led me to the house, and even the room with
a  modem.

Not always, though.  One problem carrier led me to an advertising sign
outside a strip mall.  This was obviously impossible, and I cast around
in wider and wider circles until I found the actual source, in an
apartment complex nearby.  The sign on its pedestal was being excited by
the RF on underground power wiring from across the street.

One amusing thing happened during these searches; as I cruised down the
streets in one subdivision, I noticed people running out front doors
into back yards.  The first time I saw that, I figured someone had left
the steak on the barbecue, and the second time that perhaps the dog had
gotten loose.  By the third time I had figured it out: It was Super Bowl
Sunday; they thought I was from the cable company, and were running out
back to disconnect the illegal connections they made so their neighbors
could watch the game.

Who says this ain't fun?

Cortland Richmond
ka5s