[RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Mar 14 23:55:15 EDT 2016

I've heard for years that doorbell transformers could be noisy, yet the
mechanism was not clear and I've never found one that was noisy.

But it just hit me -- electrical supply houses sell no-name, unlabeled
switch-mode power supplies to provide low voltage DC for low voltage
lighting circuits, and they CALL them "electronic transformers." Is it
possible that the noisy doorbell transformers I've heard about are
really an SMPS? Or is it a real transformer whose windings have
deteriorated?

73, Jim K9YC