[RFI] House Ground

Roger (K8RI) k8ri at rogerhalstead.com
Wed Mar 16 17:56:38 EDT 2016

I added a 3 KVA, true sin wave generator with regulated output.  I'm in
the process of getting the two big computers (4 and 5 GHz) and the
entire station (except the big amp) That 240 VAC circuit runs right
along with the 30A 120VAC to the regulated supply. IOW everything is fed
off one circuit.  The computers are in full size, steel tower cases.
(Well shielded)  Both computers use 850W power supplies and have a
Gigabit resident NIC There are also two servers.  All this goes through
a smart switch, to the router.  The computers hook to the VNAs and the rigs.

I don't think I can over emphasize the need for "good" power supplies
with dynamic power factor correction.  Many of the brand name PCs have
supplies that must be related to wall warts.

Other than following good practice,  Using good power supplies with
dynamic PFC, and tying everything to the SPG, I took no special
precautions for RFI, yet have none that I've detected...so far.
HOWEVER I realize that the next time I change something, add something,
remove something, reroute a wire...etc, the whole thing may go to pot.

If I put another computer on the network in the shop to work with that
station, it will be wireless.  Even though I see some high speeds
listed, I've not seen one wireless network come near the speed of my
CAT5. I'll put up with the slower speeds for the sake of saving
equipment/money.

73

Roger (K8RI)