[RFI] LED Replacement for T8 40 W Flourescent

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 20 17:11:52 EST 2016

The magnetic ballast on a fluorescent fixture began to show signs of
trouble. So, I replaced the two T12 40 W fluorescent tubes with Luceco
LED linear tubes that are "bypass" units. This means that they receive
direct house current and do not receive power though the ballast. Each
is rated at 22 W instead of 40 W, and ae rated at 2400 lumens. The power
supply (certainly a switching power supply) is integrated into one end
of the tube. I'm happy to report that I can't hear any evidence of them
on any of my antennas.

I have also replaced T8 32 W tubes that are drop-in replacements (no
wiring around the ballast required). These are Phillips brand purchased
at Home Depot.  These are also radio quiet at my stations.

I have a shunt-fed tower for 160 m about 60 ft from these tubes, an
inverted V for 75 m with the apex at about 40 ft, and HF antennas for
40-10 m at about 50-60 ft. I have a  All HF bands are quiet and I cannot
detect any change when the lights are operating. I also cannot hear it
on my 80 m OCF vertical (a Force 12 Sigma 80) that is about 150 ft away.

Kim N5OP

--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP
SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is." //– Attributed to many people; it’s so true that it
doesn’t matter who said it./